[unixODBC-support] PHP and unixODBC installation help. Can't create User DSN.

Ryan Churches ryan.churches at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 05:49:38 BST 2007

I am very new to all of this so please bear with me.

I would like to be able to query a remote Centrua/Gupta SQLBase DB
from my house.  I have the correct credentials for the DB, and the
windows ODBC manager says the DSN is accepting connections.

At my house I have installed PHP, built --with-unixODBC=/usr (as
gentoo does when I enable the ODBC use flag).  I have also installed a
package called pecl-php-odbc.   In my php.ini file I have added the
directive "extension pdo.so".

My first question is if I still have configuration to do with respect
to PHP, or am I done there?

Secondly, regarding unixODBC, I have installed a driver for my DB, and
I am now trying to configure unix odbc.  The driver package provides
me with obdcinst.ini and obdc.ini files, which I am using.

;obdc.ini

[gupta1]
Driver=/opt/Gupta/SQLBase901/libsqlbaseodbc.so
Description=Gupta SQLBase DSN
DSN=gupta1
Servername=server1
LoginID=SYSADM
Username=SYSADM
Password=SYSADM
ini=/opt/Gupta/SQLBase901/sql.ini
InputMessageSize=2000
IsoLevel=Release Locks
LockTimeOut=300

;odbcinst.ini
[Gupta SQLBase]
Driver = /opt/Gupta/SQLBase901/libsqlbaseodbc.so
Setup  = /opt/Gupta/SQLBase901/libsqlbaseodbcsetup.so

After doing this I see that in the ODBCConfig an entry has appeared
under the Driver and System DSN tabs.  The documentation I have been
using advises me to try and create an entry under the User DSN tab,
but I cannot (I click add and select the DB, hit OK, but I am returned
to the main screen, and no entry is added).

Finally, I try to see if it works by connecting to a db after all my
efforts, and the error message displayed to me is the exact same one
as before I had done anything to configure unixODBC:

"Warning: odbc_connect() [function.odbc-connect]: SQL error:
[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
driver specified, SQL state IM002 in SQLConnect in
/var/www/localhost/htdocs/meiga_db.php on line 3"

Now, I'm not surprised it didnt find the data source.  In all the
documentation I haven't seen any example of how to connect to a DB not
in your LAN, so I'm sure I did that wrong.  Either I haven't found
those docs yet, or i'm starting to think its not possible.

What does surprise (and frustrate) me is that it says no default
driver has been selected.  I thought I just did that with the last
step.  Basically, I've spent hours looking into this with no progress,
and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.