[unixODBC-support] OOB driver and setup libraries

Martin J. Evans martin.evans at easysoft.com
Tue Oct 3 09:33:08 BST 2006

On 02-Oct-2006 Justin Findlay wrote:
> I need some help setting up my /etc/odbcinst.ini file on ubuntu.  All
> examples on the web I've seen seem to refer to libesoobclient.so for the
> OOB driver and libesoobsetup.so for the OOB setup, however I cannot find
> anything like these files on my system.  All I can find for OOB is
> /usr/lib/odbc/libesoobS.so.  Has there been a change in the naming or
> building scheme of these libraries recently, or is this a Debian
> specific wierdness?  I currently have my /etc/odbcinst.ini file setup
> like this:
>
> [OOB]
> Description = Easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge
> Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libesoobS.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libesoobS.so
> FileUsage = 5
>
> but that doesn't seem to work.  The error I get is
>
> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed
> (SQL-IM004)
>

> Justin

Justin,

I'd guess you have not installed the ODBC-ODBC Bridge as the file you refer to
is a setup library that comes with unixODBC. You need to download an OOB
Client for Linux from
http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc_odbc_bridge/index.html
and then an OOB Server from the same place for wahtever platform your database
is on.

When you install the OOB on your ubuntu box:

1. please check you have the file /etc/ld.so.conf before installing and if not
create it with:

sudo touch /etc/ld.so.conf

2. I'd delete your entry from the odbcinst.ini file as the install will create
the right entries.

3. just install the OOB Client - i.e. run the install but select no for the
server.

4. If you install the OOB Server first and create a system DSN the client
install on ubuntu can help you test and setup a connection to the server. If
you don't do it this way you'll have to manually create a DSN on your ubuntu
box.

If you have any problems email support at easysoft.com.

Martin
--