[unixODBC-support] Make any setting "global" by putting it in the [ODBC] section?

Jeff Martin JMartin at telecomsys.com
Wed Nov 22 02:21:59 GMT 2006

Most examples of odbcinst.ini files show settings like Threading and
DontDLClose in the driver-specific sections of the odbcinst.ini file.
Examples also show that there can be a generic (global?) [ODBC] section
to control tracing.  For example,
http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/conn_pool.html has this example:

===================
[ODBC]
Trace       = No
Trace File      = /tmp/sql.log
Pooling = Yes

[INTERBASE-P]
Description     = Easysoft Driver for Interbase
Driver      	= /usr/local/lib/libib6odbc.so
Setup       	= /usr/local/lib/libib6odbcS.so
FileUsage       = 1
DontDLClose     = 1
CPTimeout       = 120

[INTERBASE]
Description     = Easysoft Driver for Interbase
Driver      	= /usr/local/lib/libib6odbc.so
Setup       	= /usr/local/lib/libib6odbcS.so
FileUsage       = 1
DontDLClose     = 1
CPTimeout       = 0
===================

In this example, the setting DontDLClose=1 appears in both the
[INTERBASE-P] and [INTERBASE] sections.  Could I take the DontDLClose
setting out of these sections and instead put it in the [ODBC] section
to make it globally applicable?  Like this?

===================
[ODBC]
Trace       = No
Trace File      = /tmp/sql.log
Pooling = Yes
DontDLClose     = 1

[INTERBASE-P]
Description     = Easysoft Driver for Interbase
Driver      	= /usr/local/lib/libib6odbc.so
Setup       	= /usr/local/lib/libib6odbcS.so
FileUsage       = 1
CPTimeout       = 120

[INTERBASE]
Description     = Easysoft Driver for Interbase
Driver      	= /usr/local/lib/libib6odbc.so
Setup       	= /usr/local/lib/libib6odbcS.so
FileUsage       = 1
CPTimeout       = 0
===================

Could I do this with any setting (not just DontDLClose)?

I can't find much in the way of documentation on which settings will
have an effect in the [ODBC] section vs the driver-specific section(s).

I took a look at the source code (2.2.10), and it appears as if things
like DontDLClose and Threading will have no effect in the [ODBC]
section.  In fact, it looks like the only settings that will have an
effect in the [ODBC] section are: Pooling, Trace, TracePid, TraceFile,
ForceTrace

However, my users claim that putting DontDLClose and Threading in *ONLY*
the [ODBC] section has the desired effect.

Am I misreading the source code?  Is there some more documentation out
there that I couldn't find?

Thanks,
Jeff

The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please so notify the sender immediately, and delete it and all attachments from your computer and network.