[unixODBC-support] building unixODBC on Solaris 9

mjn mjn at umn.edu
Tue Nov 21 20:23:46 GMT 2006

Thanks Nick and Stefan!

I bothered those that installed the gnu libs on our system and
finding those libraries fixed my first problem; the bin/ commands are
working fine.

The continuation of the saga...

I've configured this data source:
> [CFANS]
> Driver=FreeTDS
> Description=CFANS Email Database
> Trace=No
> Server=srv.sub.umn.edu
> Port=1433
> Database=email

And this driver:
> [FreeTDS]
> Description=v0.64
> Driver=/opt/freetds//lib/libtdsodbc.so
> UsageCount=1

Using odbcinst.

I have freeTDS installed and I have been able to connect to this same
server without problems. When I connection using FreeTDS's tsql, I see:
> >/opt/freetds/bin/tsql -S CFANSTest -U user -P pass
> locale is "C"
> locale charset is "646"

The FreeTDS entry for this is:
> [CFANSTest]
>         host = srv.sub.umn.edu
>         port = 1433
>         tds version = 7.0

However, when I attempt to connect with unixODBC's isql, I get this:
> > /opt/unixODBC/bin/isql CFANS user pass -v
> [S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source
> [28000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Login incorrect.
> [08S01][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Read from SQL server failed.
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

And the DBA for the SQL server tells me that he is seeing this error
inside the MS SQLServer logs (this is SQL SERVER 2000):
> Connection opened but invalid login packet(s) sent.  Connection
> closed.

The one thing that pops into my head is that I did not specify a
default protocol version when compiling FreeTDS. Anyone see this
before and know what causes it?

Thanks again!

Mike Neuharth, BA, LPIC-1
Email/UNIX System Administrator
Internet Services, University of Minnesota
"What is important, it seems to me, is not so much to defend a culture
whose existence has never kept a man from going hungry, as to extract,
from what is called culture, ideas whose compelling force is identical
with that of hunger."  -Antonin Artaud