[unixODBC-support] Help! with setup, please.

Bob Marcum bmarcum at houston.rr.com
Sun Nov 19 05:00:39 GMT 2006

Yes ... me, too.

Sorry, but I am having trouble setting up any DSN that will allow a connection.

I am using MySQL.  I have had MySQL 4 installed for several months and have used it successfully.  However, I now want to use it with an ODBC setup and am having trouble getting the setup right.  I have the database up and running.  I have established the following '.ini' files:

odbcinst.ini:
[PostgreSQL]
Description		= ODBC for PostgreSQL
Driver		= /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so
Setup		= /usr/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so
FileUsage		= 1

[MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver]
Description	= MySQL driver
Driver		= /usr/lib/libmyodbc3.so
Driver64	=
Setup		= /usr/lib/libmyodbc3S.so
Setup64		=
UsageCount	= 1
CPTimeout	=
CPReuse		=

odbc.ini
;
;  odbc.ini configuration for Connector/ODBC and Connector/ODBC 3.51 drivers
;

[ODBC Data Sources]
myodbc      = MyODBC 2.50 Driver DSN
myodbc3     = MyODBC 3.51 Driver DSN

[myodbc]
Driver       = /usr/lib/libmyodbc.so
Description  = MyODBC 2.50 Driver DSN
SERVER       = localhost
PORT         =
USER         = root
Password     =
Database     = test
OPTION       = 3
SOCKET       =

[myodbc3]
Driver       = /usr/lib/libmyodbc3.so
Description  = Connector/ODBC 3.51 Driver DSN
SERVER       = localhost
PORT         =
USER         =
Password     =
Database     =
OPTION       =
SOCKET       =

[Default]
Driver       = /usr/lib/libmyodbc3.so
Description  = Connector/ODBC 3.51 Driver DSN
SERVER       = localhost
PORT         =
USER         =
Password     =
Database     =
OPTION       = 4
SOCKET       =
TraceFile    = /root/unixODBCTrace
Trace	     = 1

Even though I have odbc.ini set to generate a trace file, I get no trace file in /root.  I have tried to connect using isql (and I have used ODBCConfig, and odbctest and [anything else I thought might work or give me useful information])

When I try to connect via isql I enter the following command and get this error report:

# isql Default a_valid_username a_valid_password
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

Guidance, please?

Thank you for your help.