[unixODBC-support] Remote Informix ODBC problem

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Thu May 11 13:48:42 BST 2006

Anand Angad Gaur wrote:

>>Does anybody know of problems with any of the versions of
>>unixodbc & driver I am using?
>>

>I installed Informix Client SDK 2.90.FC4 from IBM two
>months ago. But I can't get it working with unixODBC.
>
>When trying isql -v ids_kpg_ux02 I keep getting the message:
>
>  [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
>

>>Has anybody actually connected to a remote informix database successfully?
>>

>Yes, I can connect successfully and do anything with
>the demo C programs.
>
>The isql program first interprets the commandline parameters,
>then calls the ODBC functions SQLAllocEnv, SQLAllocConnect
>and SQLConnect in that order.
>
>The first two functions returns with success, but the last one
>the SQLConnect returns with a SQL_INVALID_HANDLE
>
>Putting the same ODBC function calls in the same order with the
>same parameters in a testprogram and compiling it with the
>informix header files from IBM results in a program connecting to
>the informix database without any problems.
>
>As far as I can see the unixODBC is just loading the Informix
>driver (/opt/informix/LE/lib/cli/libifcli.so) , receives a pointer
>to the functions in the lib and calls the above mentioned
>functions in the lib with the supplied parameters.
>
>So why doesn't it work ?

I did do a patched version of 2.2.5 (that gives you a hit as to the age)
that was needed for a bug in a informix driver. What they were doing was
the driver was converting the call to SQLConnect into a internal call to
SQLConnectW, but they had built the driver such that it found the entry
point in the driver manager istead, and so failed.

This may be the same problem. There is a unixODBC-2.2.5-ansi.tar.gz on
the ftp site for this, but I did think IBM had fixed their driver.