[unixODBC-support] Remote Informix ODBC problem

Ben Glazier ben.glazier at quadrant2.eu.com
Tue May 9 22:20:38 BST 2006

Hi,

I have been working on this for a while now, but still I am unable to connect,
however, I have no problem connecting to informix database using windows.
Unfortunately this is no good, as I don't use windows.

I am trying to connect to a remote database on a network.
UnixODBC (2.2.11.8Ubuntu1) is working, because I am able to connect to my
local Mysql.

I installed Informix driver from IBM site (2.9.UC3),

I have followed the instructions on the unixodbc site.

However, if I am connecting to a server on the network, rather than local
server, I am not sure where to define the IP and port for the server, etc.

Here is what i have done so far:

/etc/sqlhosts
inf_tcp onsoctcp        ODBC    inf_tcp

/etc/services
inf_tcp 4002/tcp

/etc/odbcinst.ini

[Informix]
Driver=/opt/informix/lib/cli/libifcli.so
APILevel=1
ConnectFunctions=YYY
DriverODBCVer=03.51
FileUsage=0
SQLLevel=1
smProcessPerconnect=Y

/etc/odbc.ini

[ODBC]
Driver=Informix
Description=IBM Driver
Server=inf_tcp
Database=dbasename
LogonID=logonid
pwd=password
CLIEBT_LOCALE=en_us.8859-1
DB_LOCALE=en_us.8859-1
TRANSLATIONDLL=/opt/informix/lib/esql/igo4a304.so
Port=38113

/etc/ld.so.conf (& ldconfig -v)

/opt/informix/lib
/opt/informix/lib/c++
/opt/informix/lib/cli
/opt/informix/lib/client
/opt/informix/lib/dmi
/opt/informix/lib/esql

I also used:  export ODBCINI=/etc/odbc.ini

isql -v ODBC  gives an error -25553 Could not sql connect

ODBCconfig gives:  could not construct a property list for (informix), when
trying to set the system DNS.

I have tried various other things like setting Server= IP address, etc, etc.

I am not sure what should really go in the sqlhosts file.  In MS-windows, I
edited the etc/hosts file and put in the IP and name, and this worked.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben