[unixODBC-support] odbcinst probelm

Nagesh Sharvari-A21337 sharvari.nagesh at motorola.com
Fri Jun 30 10:36:14 BST 2006

Yeah.. I do know that it can be edited manually. But how does the new
edited configuration, gets loaded? Should I restart the server or should
I wait for certain time for it to get loaded or should I execute some
command to tell odbc to use the modified configuration files?. Because,
after manually, changing /etc/odbc.ini file, the changes are not getting
loaded.

I don't get any error message after executing a odbcinst command. It
says, odbc.ini file is modified properly. But if I do a cat of
/etc/odbc.ini file, it wouldn't have changed at all. May be it's trying
to change some other .odbc.ini file. But I checked all .odbc.ini files,
even they are not modified.

I am running odbcinst command using a user which has all root
privileges. And I am also giving the option "-l" to indicate, it needs
to change system odbc.ini file. Though, odbcinst says,

bash-2.03# odbcinst -u -s -l -n ORACLE
odbcinst: DSN removed (if it existed at all). ODBC_BOTH_DSN was used as
the search path.

But if I do a cat of /etc/odbc.ini(and also other .odbc.ini files),
ORACLE data source configuration wouldn't have changed at all. I even
tried setting ODBC_BOTH_DSN variable to /etc, even that doesn't work. I
even tried running this as root user. That also doesn't work.

Regards
Sharvari