[unixODBC-support] Oracle9i & unixODBC & FreeTDS

Fri Jun 2 08:26:18 BST 2006

> Both of these odbc.ini files are symbolic links to
/usr/local/etc/odbc.ini
> (I presume this should function ?)
Yes, it should function but it's not a good idea. Remove at least the
symbolic link $HOME/.odbc.ini
$HOME/.odbc.ini is expected to be writeable by the user owning $HOME and
that's most likely not the case.
It's enough to have the DSN you need in either of them (e.g.
/usr/local/etc/odbc.ini).

What does "odbcinst -j" report?

> Unixodbc version: 2.1.1
That version is quite outdated (23-Mar-2002).
You should get a more recent one (e.g. 2.2.11)

> The oracle user has an env var ODBCSYSINI=/usr/local/etc/odbc.ini and
an ODBCINI=/etc/odbcini
You don't need either of these variables. You can unset them.
"odbcinst -j" tells you where unixODBC expects its config files and its
easiest to use these defaults.

ODBCSYSINI is used to point unixODBC to a different system-wide
configuration directory that contains the system-wide odbc.ini and
odbcinst.ini. It must point to a directory.
ODBCINI is used to point to a different user odbc.ini (alternative to
$HOME/.odbc.ini). It must point to a file.
If you really want to set them the correct setting for your case:
    ODBCSYSINI=/usr/local/etc
    ODBCINI=/some/other/odbc.ini

If nothing of that information helps have a look at this thread
http://mail.easysoft.com/pipermail/unixodbc-support/2006-May/000878.html
At least it's related.

Cheers
Stefan