[unixODBC-support] isql and FreeTDS vs NTLM

Spörlein Ulrich u.spoerlein at ghp.de
Tue Jul 4 08:53:26 BST 2006

Hi,

I set up unixODBC 2.2.11 and FreeTDS 0.63 on a FreeBSD 6.1 machine and I'd like to access an MS SQL server. This works fine when using 'tsql' and my username of 'DOMAIN\u.spoerlein'. Yes, I need to authenticate with my domain login.

When using the isql tool, it connects to the MS SQL server (as seen by tcpdump) and sends the login name and password in clear text (tsql uses NTLMSSP). If isql is using the TDS driver, why isn't it using NTLM as well? Anyway, 'isql' is not working, as the MS SQL server will terminate the connection immediately after receiving the login credentials.

Ethereal decodes the tsql packets as 'TDS7/8 Login Packet, NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE' whereas the isql packets are simply labelled 'Login Packet'.

Any hints?

--
Ulrich Spoerlein, IT-Operations
Client Vela GmbH, Albert-Roßhaupter-Straße 32, 81369 München, Germany

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received the e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.