[unixODBC-support] failure on disconnect with immediate re-connect

BobMarcum bmarcum at houston.rr.com
Sat Dec 30 14:28:20 GMT 2006

I have an application in development.  I can happily search for, add, update
records using unixODBC with a MySQL 4.1.14 database, on linux.  The
application is written in Eiffel; I am using the ECLI eiffel ODBC facility
which uses unixODBC.

However, when I try to do a certain access and update on the database I get
an exception from the driver upon a 2nd attempt to connect.  Let me explain:

Each routine - find, add, update - does a connect, constructs and executes
its sql command and then disconnects.  In the process in question I do a
find (works okay),  examine the data that was found to test for a certain
condition and then do an update, which - like the find - gets a connection.
However, this second connection fails upon the call to driver for a "connect
string" connect.  All connects are by "connect string", not DSN, login and
password.

Further, I cannot produce a trace file when running the program, which is
running as an Apache web server CGI program.  But I have no problem
generating a trace file when I use isql.

'Tis a puzzle ???  Any suggestions for how I can chase down what may be the
problem here.  Or, ... how to fix the problem in any way.

Thanks.