[unixODBC-support] Connecting from ORACLE to PostgreSQL via unixODBC does not work: "driver not licensed"

Ilming Elvira (Semizen) elvira.ilming at niedermeyer.at
Tue Sep 13 14:59:00 BST 2005

Hello from Vienna/Austria,

I'm new to this list and that's why I appreciate any kind of hint from your side...

DO YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS ALREADY SUCCEEDED TO CONNECT FROM AN ORACLE DATABASE VIA unixODBC TO POSTGRESQL?

While connecting from ORACLE to PostgreSQL via unixODBC we get the following

ERROR MESSAGE:
[Generic Connectivity Using ODBC][A07A] 'GENERIC_ODBC_FOR_HS' driver is not
licensed

Here comes the details step by step:
Connecting from ORACLE to PostgreSQL via ODBC does not work: "driver not licensed"

The following ODBC Driver is installed with the postgreSQL Driver.

http://www.unixodbc.org/
[root at 000ns112 bin]# ./odbcinst --version
unixODBC 2.2.11

http://www.postgresql.org
psqlodbc-08.00.0102 (ODBC DRIVER)

==========
isql works
==========

[oracle at 000ns112 admin]$ isql -v crm_prod crm '+++++++++++'
| Connected!                            |
| sql-statement                         |
| help [tablename]                      |
| quit                                  |
SQL> select cus_user from crm.customers limit 10
+-----------+
| cus_user  |
+-----------+
| tradnetter|
| tradnetter|
| tradnetter|
| tradnetter|
| tradnetter|
| tradnetter|
| tradnetter|
| tradnetter|
| tradnetter|
| tradnetter|
+-----------+
SQLRowCount returns 10
10 rows fetched

====================
TNSPING does work OK
====================
[oracle at 000ns112 admin]$ tnsping crm
TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on 08-SEP-2005
16:37:55
Copyright (c) 1997, 2003, Oracle. All rights reserved.
Used parameter files:
/oracle/OraHome_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION= (ADDRESS = (PROTO = TCP)(HOST =
000ns112.niedermeyer.private)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA= (SID = crm_prod))
(HS = OK))
OK (0 msec)

=========================
Connect from ORACLE FAILS
=========================

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Release 10.1.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
SQL> select * from customers at crm_odbc;
select * from customers at crm_odbc
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this message:
[Generic Connectivity Using ODBC][A07A] 'GENERIC_ODBC_FOR_HS' driver is not
licensed
ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from CRM_ODBC

Any kind of suggestions or ideas warmly welcome!

Have a great day,

Elvira

www.ilming.com
http://www.visualfacts.at/elvira/ilmingcom/downloads/Resumee%20Elvira%20Ilming.pdf