[unixODBC-support] unixODBC manager issue

Vecchio, Peppi PVecchio at orangelake.com
Fri Oct 21 18:26:41 BST 2005

Sorry.  Our spam filter is still snaring these emails, so I have to cut and paste the reply messages.

Thanks for the help.

I had read in one of your postings to use the trace.  If I try to connect with the mxODBC product, I get no log.  If I connect with the isql command I get this successful connection log (trace):

[ODBC][28803][__handles.c][444]

Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]

Environment = 0xa036338

[ODBC][28803][SQLAllocHandle.c][345]

Entry:

Handle Type = 2

Input Handle = 0xa036338

[ODBC][28803][SQLAllocHandle.c][463]

Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]

Output Handle = 0xa036910

[ODBC][28803][SQLConnect.c][3549]

Entry:

Connection = 0xa036910

Server Name = [MyServer2k][length = 10 (SQL_NTS)]

User Name = [tswdata_user][length = 12 (SQL_NTS)]

Authentication = [*******][length = 7 (SQL_NTS)]

UNICODE Using encoding ASCII 'ISO8859-1' and UNICODE 'UCS-2LE'

[ODBC][28803][SQLConnect.c][4123]

Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]

Command Line Screen:

[xxxx at xxxxxxx bin]# isql -v MyServer2k tswdata_user ******

| Connected!                       |
| sql-statement                   |
| help [tablename]               |
| quit                                  |
SQL>

So we know the driver works perfectly.  Not sure where else I can look for error logs.

Vecchio, Peppi wrote:

>Hello all.

>My knowledge of this particular area is mediocre at best.  Just looking for some help in troubleshooting an issue.  Running RedHat ES4 - trying to connect to MSSQL Server.

>I have freetds-0.63 installed and working - tested with the tsql command.

>unixODBC-2.2.11 installed and appears to be working correctly - tested with the isql command - I get the Connected SQL> prompt.

>Then I installed the mxODBC product which runs through zope.  I get that installed properly and begin to set up a test connection.  It properly labels the available datasource as the config I used in unixODBC.  But when I try to connect I get this error:

>EGENIX.COM mxODBC Zope DA

>Problem connecting to the database

>Connection string: DSN=MyServer2k;

>UID=username;

>PWD=password

>Connection pool entry: 0

>Error message: ('08003', 0, '[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Connnection does not exist', 7646)

The most likly reason is that the connection failed. The driver manager

will return that if a call has been made using a connection handle that

isn't connected.

I guess a ODBC trace would be the place to start. In you odbcinst.ini file

[ODBC]

Trace = Yes

TraceFile = /tmp/sql.log

run the code and see whats in /tmp/sql.log. I suspect a SQLConnect or

SQLDriverConnect will have failed, and that may have been ignored by the

app.

Peppi Vecchio | Web Developer
TECHNOLOGY SERVICES GROUP

The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential and
intended only for use of the individual or entity addressed above.  If you
have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us
by reply and delete the same.  Thank you.