[unixODBC-support] unixODBC manager issue

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Fri Oct 21 16:12:28 BST 2005

Vecchio, Peppi wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>My knowledge of this particular area is mediocre at best.  Just looking for some help in troubleshooting an issue.  Running RedHat ES4 - trying to connect to MSSQL Server.
>
>I have freetds-0.63 installed and working - tested with the tsql command.
>
>unixODBC-2.2.11 installed and appears to be working correctly - tested with the isql command - I get the Connected SQL> prompt.
>
>Then I installed the mxODBC product which runs through zope.  I get that installed properly and begin to set up a test connection.  It properly labels the available datasource as the config I used in unixODBC.  But when I try to connect I get this error:
>
>EGENIX.COM mxODBC Zope DA
>
>Problem connecting to the database
>
>Connection string: DSN=MyServer2k;
>
>UID=username;
>
>PWD=password
>
>Connection pool entry: 0
>
>Error message: ('08003', 0, '[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Connnection does not exist', 7646)

The most likly reason is that the connection failed. The driver manager
will return that if a call has been made using a connection handle that
isn't connected.

I guess a ODBC trace would be the place to start. In you odbcinst.ini file

[ODBC]
Trace = Yes
TraceFile = /tmp/sql.log

run the code and see whats in /tmp/sql.log. I suspect a SQLConnect or
SQLDriverConnect will have failed, and that may have been ignored by the
app.