[unixODBC-support] Implementing an ODBC *server*?

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:13:10 BST 2005

Hi there,

We have an application running on Linux where we would like to export
data via ODBC - primarily so that MS Office users can create "external
data" links to our application and have the refresh automatically.

The easy way is to just e.g. put all the data in a MySQL database and
export it via ODBC, but that is not practical given the large amounts of
data involved and the fact that they are stored elsewhere in other
formats already.

How does one implement an ODBC server? Can/will unixODBC help with this?

Ideally what we're hoping for is that a library will do all the
encoding/decoding, SQL parsing etc. and allow us to register callback
routines that get called when someone issues an SQL query against "us".

Do we have other options? I guess one could start reading the ODBC
specs, and start implementing ODBC from the ground up, but that tends to
be the hard way! :-D

Our application is written in perl but we're not frightened if we have
to write some C, C++, java, python or whatever is required. We'd prefer
to stay in perl, however.

Any good ideas?

Thank you for reading this far.

Kind regards,