[unixODBC-support] Cannot SQL Connect

C. Beamer cbeamer at interlynx.net
Sun Oct 16 02:07:57 BST 2005

Hello all,

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I'm going to start
here because the error message that I got from the command 'isql
MySQL-home home' was "Could not SQL Connect".

Particulars:

I am running Gentoo Linux.  I have done what I tried to do today on a
Fedora Core system, so I am not sure if the problem is that Gentoo is
just slightly different.

I have both UnixODBC and myodbc installed.

The ultimate goal is to be able to use Open Office as a front end to a
MySQL database and as I said, I had this set up when using Fedora Core.
To do this, I followed a HOW-TO provided by Open Office.  (And yes, I do
know that the beta release of Open Office has a database component, but
Gentoo only provides the stable release of 1.1.4).

The instructions to set up this were as follows:

create 2 files - odbcinst.ini and odbc.ini  These files were supposed to
be in /etc.  In Fedora Core, there were templates to use, but I had to
completely create the files in Gentoo.

In the odbcinst.ini file, the line for the driver when I did this in
Fedora Core was:
Driver = /usr/lib/libmyodbc.so

In Gentoo, there is no libmyodbc.so.  There is, however, a libmyodbc3.so
which is a symlink to libmyodbc3-3.51.11.so

Therefore, I used /usr/lib/libmyodbc3.so as the driver.

In the odbc.ini file, the proper name of the database was listed.

After creating the odbcinst.ini and odbc.ini files,, I ran 'isql
MySQL-home home' which was supposed to test the connectivity to the
database and I got the error [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

When I did a google search for the error message, I came across a
this on my system and got the following message:

[IM010][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name too long

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I can connect to the 'home'
database from within mysql and as I said before, what I want to do, I
have done before in Fedora Core.

Any suggestions here would be appreciated, or if this is not where I
should be posting, perhaps a suggestion as to where I can get the
information that I need.

Thanks,

Colleen