[unixODBC-support] pthread and unixODBC problem

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Thu Oct 13 17:01:32 BST 2005

José M. Puyal wrote:

>Hi Nick,
>
>We have found the problem,
>
>In our pthreads we have defined
>
>pthread_attr_setstacksize( &tAttr, 16384 );
>
>With this attribute for the stack size the aplication fails when the
>thread creates a new connection or database handle, maybe because the
>memory space needed to allocate the handle (we are not sure). If we
>comment that line all works fine, but we can only create about 300
>threads, after that no new threads can be created.
>
>¿Do you know anything about this?

Well I would guess something (I suspect the driver) is requireing more
than 16K on the stack. I expect the limit of threads is your available
memory. Maybe there is a figure >16k that will work and allow you to
create more threads.

Do you mean you want 300 concurrent threads, or are you creating and
ending threads?