[unixODBC-support] build problem on Solaris 9

William D. McCoy wdmccoy at geo.umass.edu
Sat Nov 19 15:30:04 GMT 2005

I am trying to build unixODBC 2.2.11 on a Sun Ultra-1 running SunOS 5.9
(Solaris 9).  To configure, I used:

./configure --x-includes=/usr/openwin/share/include/X11
         -x-lib=/usr/openwin/lib

and it configured ok.

make ran fine for a couple of hours (it's a slow machine!) but then
ended in an error in the DataManager directory.  Having not seen the
error I reran make this morning and captured the output and standard
error.  Here are the relevant (I think) parts:

Making all in ini
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/share/src/unixODBC/unixODBC-2.2.11/ini'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/share/src/unixODBC/unixODBC-2.2.11/ini'
Making all in libltdl
Making all in DataManager
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/share/src/unixODBC/unixODBC-2.2.11/DataManager'
/bin/bash ../libtool --mode=link g++  -g -O2   -o DataManager
classCanvas.o classColumn.o classDataManager.o classDataSource.o
classDataSources.o classDriver.o classDrivers.o classISQL.o classIndex.o
classIndexs.o classLogin.o classNode.o
classODBC.o classPrimaryKeys.o classSpecialColumns.o classTable.o
classTables.o
classConnectionFrame.o classBrowseFrame.o classBrowse.o main.o
mclassDataManager.o mclassCanvas.o mclassLogin.o mclassISQL.o
mclassConnectionFrame.o mclassBrowseFrame.o mclassBrowse.o
-L/usr/openwin/lib -L/usr/local/qt/lib -lqt  -lXext -lX11 -lsocket
../odbcinst/libodbcinst.la ../DriverManager/libodbc.la  -lthread
libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.la' was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.la' was moved.
g++ -g -O2 -o .libs/DataManager classCanvas.o classColumn.o
classDataManager.o classDataSource.o classDataSources.o classDriver.o
classDrivers.o classISQL.o classIndex.o classIndexs.o classLogin.o
classNode.o classODBC.o classPrimaryKeys.o
classSpecialColumns.o classTable.o classTables.o classConnectionFrame.o
classBrowseFrame.o classBrowse.o main.o mclassDataManager.o
mclassCanvas.o mclassLogin.o mclassISQL.o mclassConnectionFrame.o
mclassBrowseFrame.o mclassBrowse.o  -L/usr/openwin/lib
-L/usr/local/qt/lib /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.so -lpng -lz -lGL -lXmu
-lresolv -lnsl -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11 -lsocket
../odbcinst/.libs/libodbcinst.so ../DriverManager/.libs/libodbc.so -ldl
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib
-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib -lthread
-R/usr/local/qt/lib -R/usr/local/lib
iniOpen                             classDataManager.o
iniObjectSeekSure                   classDataManager.o
iniValue                            classDataManager.o
iniPropertyInsert                   classDataManager.o
iniObjectDelete                     classDataManager.o
iniObjectEOL                        classDataManager.o
iniPropertyNext                     classDataManager.o
iniPropertyEOL                      classDataManager.o
iniProperty                         classDataManager.o
iniObjectNext                       classDataManager.o
iniElement                          classDataSource.o
iniPropertyFirst                    classDataManager.o
iniCommit                           classDataManager.o
iniObject                           classDataManager.o
iniObjectFirst                      classDataManager.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to .libs/DataManager
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [DataManager] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/share/src/unixODBC/unixODBC-2.2.11/DataManager'make: ***
[all-recursive] Error 1

The .lo files for all the undefined symbols were built and are in the
ini directory.  There are no .o files there (I don't know if there
should be).  There is a libinilc.la file in ini, but there is no
libini.so file anywhere (again I don't know if there should be at this
point in the build).  I don't understand why it can't find it's own
library files.  I wonder if there is a problem with one of the
makefiles.  Can anyone advise me on how to finish the build?

Thanks, Bill

--

William D. McCoy
Geosciences