[unixODBC-support] ODBC connection to Access DB

M S mseibel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 14:32:27 GMT 2005

Hi all,

i tried the mdbtools-dev list but got no reply.

 I'm trying to extract data from an Access Database. The specific
application is to extract shapes from an .mdb file for GIS. the GDAL open
source guys wrote something for this but it only works on windows due to
some DLLs or something. If i can get the ODBC to work on linux, then it
should be good to go. basically, at this point i am not sure my ODBC
connection is working. I am new to this so please excuse the wrong use of
terminology. Is there a service that needs started for UNIXODBC? I ask this
because of the port in the DSN.
 I have installed all version 0.5-1 RPMS... mdbtools, mdbtools-devel,
mdbtools-gui,mdbtools-odbc.
 I made the driver file:
[MDBtoolsODBC]
Description = MDB tools ODBC driver
Driver = /usr/lib/libmdbodbc.so.0
Setup =
FileUsage = 1
CPTimeout =
CPReuse =
 then i did the odbcinst -i -d -f <FILENAME>
it said successful driver installation, and i can see the driver listed in
the /etc/odbcinst.ini file.
 Then i defined my Data Source Name in the /etc/odbc.ini file:
[GDB]
Description = Microsoftt Access Database driver of GDB
Driver = MDBtoolsODBC
Database = /home/user/data.mdb
Servername = localhost
UserName =
Password =
port = 5432
 when i use the DataManager, it shows me the driver name i put in under the
DRIVER tree, and it also lists the DSN under System Data Sources and User
Data Sources. When i click on the user datasource tree and expand it, i get
the DSN "GDB". when i click on that, i get prompted for password, i hit ok.
then comes the error:
when i click on the "tables" i get this error "Failed to SQLTables".
 Can anyone help? Does it sound like the ODBC connection is not working or
established or setup right?
 thanks in advance!
Mark