[unixODBC-support] embeding unixODBC drivers

Andy Howell AndyHowell at raitechnology.com
Tue May 17 01:12:14 BST 2005

Eric,

> Not stupid, but I do think you're headed in the wrong direction.

Wouldn't be the first time.

> The kind of modifications which would be required to do what you want
> to do are certainly possible, but you'd loose a lot of flexibility
> which you might find that you need later on, and it certainly doesn't
> strike me as the path that's "as simple as possible".

The balance of flexability and simplicity I was thinking of was more
from the development / deployment point of view. I wanted to write my
code to the driver manager, and then statically link database drivers to
the driver manager as need.  Granted, the end user is limited to the
drivers I use. For my application that is fine.

> Or, as Nick suggested, you could skip the driver manager entirely and
> just link to the driver statically.  But the driver manager exists for
> a reason.  It provides a lot of features which may not exist in the
> driver you want to use.

That reason is exactly why I'm using unixODBC. I didn't want to be
limited to one particular database.

> What platform(s) are you targeting?

Linux and Solaris

Thanks,