[unixODBC-support] embeding unixODBC drivers

Andy Howell AndyHowell at raitechnology.com
Tue May 10 04:19:23 BST 2005

Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>Is it possible to make static version of the drivers? I'm trying to
>>avoid having to install unixODBC on every machine.
>

> You want to statically link unixODBC into some application which
> you then install on every machine to avoid installing unixODBC
> on every machine?

Yes. I'm linking the unixODBC libs statically. I didn't see a way to do
that with the driver manager, since ( I think ) its always going to look
at the odbcinst.ini to dynamicaly load the driver.

> Why not just modify your application package to aggregate a copy
> of unixODBC which gets installed at the same time as the application?

I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. My app doesn't care where
its installed, so I'm trying to avoid having to install and configure
dynamic libs in a particular place. That probably goes against the
design of unixODBC. If I'm being stupid, just say so.

Thanks,

	Andy