[unixODBC-support] driver logging

Eric Sharkey sharkey at netrics.com
Tue Mar 1 20:36:21 GMT 2005

> >Most do.  For those that don't I think it's better to provide an
> >implementation rather than not use these functions.  This is what we
> >do for our database.
> >

> Ok, but I have to ask what "problem" this change would fix?

Performance.

I haven't profiled it yet, but having all these sprintfs makes me
itchy.  If the sprintf is moved into logPushMsg, and only done
if logging is enabled, then it's not an issue in a production
environment, where logging is usually turned off.

Maybe it's the nature of working with RAM based datasources,
where data access is usually quick.  Little bits of overhead like this
can add up really quickly, relative to the actual work that needs to
get done.

Eric