[unixODBC-support] Problem with SQLDrivers()

Bruce A. Mallett bam at NightStorm.com
Sun Jul 17 02:24:30 BST 2005

Hello,

I'm using 2.2.10 under SuSE 9.3 and discovered that the last parameter
to SQLDrivers (pcbDrvrAttr), which is supposed to be an output, is not
getting filled in even when the attribute buffer is being returned with
data.  In examining DriverManager/SQLDrivers.c I see the following code
on or about line 413:

                if ( *pcb_drvr_attr )
                {
                    *pcb_drvr_attr = total_len;
                }

This code is explicitly testing to see if the value into which the
length is to be written is non-zero.  Only if it is non-zero will the
length be returned.  Dropping the asterisk within the "if ()" would make
sense (and perhaps is what was meant), otherwise this implies that this
parameter is both an input and an output .. something that differs from
the API description.  I just checked in 2.2.11 and the code is the same.

When I changed my code to explicitly set a non-zero value into the last
parameter prior to the SQLDrivers() call I found that I do get a value
returned as expected.

Bug or am I misreading something?

TIA,

      - Bruce