[unixODBC-support] WAS: unix-odbc : db2 IBM iseries over cygwin; Now: over Linux

burnsr at richer.ca burnsr at richer.ca
Mon Jul 11 18:26:25 BST 2005

Okay, so i've abandoned the attempt to do this over cygwin. The objective
is the same: how do I get an isql session from a linux box to a an IBM
iSeries DB2 environment?

So far:
 - I've done these steps:

  ./configure --enable-gui=no
  make
  sudo make install

 # find all the so's in the rpm
 #( the rpm has a motif libXm.so.3 dependancy that I cannot get past)
 rpm2cpio ./iSeriesAccess-5.2.0-1.8.i386.rpm | cpio -itv  | grep "so" |
gawk '/so/ {print $NF}' > rpmSoList

 # create a local copy of those so's in my working dir
 # the file rpmsolist just created has the following entries:
 # $ cat rpmsolist
 # opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbcore.so
 # opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbodbc.so
 # opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbodbcs.so
 # opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbrc.so

 rpm2cpio ./iSeriesAccess-5.2.0-1.8.i386.rpm | cpio -idv `cat rpmsolist`

 # next I made a 'template' odbcinst.ini with the following content
 # $ cat odbcinst.ini_template
 # [DB2]
 # Description     = iSeries Access for Linux ODBC data source
 # Driver          = /home/burnsr/opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwodbc.so
 # Setup           = /home/burnsr/opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwodbcs.so
 # System          = SYS06
 # and ran odbcinst as root on this template

 sudo odbcinst -i -d -f odbcinst.ini_template
 # above command results were:
 # $ sudo odbcinst -i -d -f odbcinst.ini_template
 # Password:
 # odbcinst: Driver installed. Usage count increased to 4.
 #     Target directory is /usr/local/etc

 # then I made a 'template' odbc.ini_template with the following content
 # $ cat odbc.ini_template
 # [DB2]
 # Description     = iSeries Access for Linux  ODBC data source
 # Driver          = /usr/local/etc/libcwbodbc.so
 # Setup           = /usr/local/etc/libcwbodbcs.so
 # and ran   odbcinst -i -s -f odbc.ini_template
 odbcinst -i -s -f odbc.ini_template
 # the above ran silently

 # finally I try isql
$ isql -v sys06
[IM002][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no
default driver specified
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

So what do I do now? Where did I go wrong?

The above efforts were based on the various docs on the unixodbc.org
website
in particular
"unixODBC without the Gui" and
http://www.unixodbc.org/drivers.html ( the ibm stuff there - where the
links work)
http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/db2.html

The objective is simply a working isql session and doing it without a
motif gui layer ( this latter bit is likely the root
of all the problems here)

Any and all advice will be appreciated and well read...

Richard Burns
Richer Systems Group