[unixODBC-support] SSH tunnels with PostgreSQL

Chris Jewell c.jewell at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jul 11 18:10:26 BST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a PostgreSQL database that I have running
behind a firewall.  I'm trying to do it over an ssh tunnel, and have
achieved this using the psql text-based clients:

ssh -L 3333:foo.bar:5432 username at foo.bar

Then:

psql -h localhost -p 3333 -d dbname

I tried the same thing with unixODBC putting the server as localhost,
and port as 3333.  However, I get the error: [unixODBC]Could not connect
to the server; Could not connect to remote socket.  If I then change the
server to 127.0.0.1, I get [unixODBC]Unknown authentication type.

My authentication type is md5 and unixODBC is supposed to support this.
There is a bug-report on the PostgreSQL ODBC driver sourceforge page
which describes the same phenomenon, but they haven't assigned the bug.
I'm wondering if there is a workaround.

Regards,

Chris

--