[unixODBC-support] missing semicolon in query generated of postgresql SQLForeignKeys() ?

Paul Novorolsky paul.novorolsky at base2capital.com
Thu Feb 24 19:59:32 GMT 2005

Please be tolerant if I'm in the wrong place for this, but I've scoured
the web looking for a FAQ or some other indication of what could be
wrong here. I'm not exactly a DB or ODBC guru, and I just recently set
up postgresql and unixODBC under Redhat.

I'm running unixODBC 2.2.8-2 and postgreSQL 6.3.6-RH, which are the
versions supplied with my version of Redhat.

What I'm trying to do is make use of the ability to query the database
structure in C++, specifically the relationships between the tables
using SQLForeignKeys(). The command succeeds, but returns no data
(SQLFetch returns SQL_NO_DATA)

I am also unable to get any results back from SQLPrimaryKeys().

For SQLPrimaryKeys, my call is: SQLPrimary(hstmt, 0, 0, NULL, 0,
(SQLCHAR *)tableName, SQL_NTS);
and SQLForeignKeys(hstmt, NULL, 0, NULL, 0, NULL, 0, NULL, 0, NULL, 0,
(SQLCHAR *)tableName, SQL_NTS);

The command executes OK (returns SQL_SUCCESS), but results in no data. I
tried using DataManager, and odbctest with similar results.

I enabled the trace logging on postgreSQL, and found that the SQL
statements that are generated to fulfill these requests. For each
attempt at either SQLForeignKeys() or SQLPrimaryKeys(), I see the SQL
statement logged, but without a semicolon  terminator to the query.
Executing these SQL statements by hand does select the attributes I am
interested in. (So I know that the relationships exist, and can be queried.)

Is this likely to be my problem? If so, is there some way  to configure
unixODBC to terminate these queries with a semicolon?

Is there any other advice anyone has to offer on how I might be able to
get this to work?

Thanks in advance...