[unixODBC-support] Oracle Heterogeneous Services + Replication

Eric Sharkey sharkey at netrics.com
Mon Apr 18 17:41:50 BST 2005

Sorry, this isn't really unixODBC specific.

I'm trying to configure Oracle Heterogeneous Services.  There's an
excellent tutorial on the Easysoft site:

http://www.easysoft.com/products/2104/hsodbc.phtml

(Nick, did you write this?)  And following that tutorial everything
works and I can access non-Oracle tables from within Oracle just fine.
But going a bit beyond the scope of that document, I run into a problem.

Trying to set up Heterogeneous Streams Replication requires, as
a prerequisite, that the Oracle paramter "GLOBAL_NAMES" be set to true.
Once this is done, any attempt to use the ODBC database link results in
an "ORA-02085: database link <linkname> connects to HO.WORLD" error.

(Heterogeneous Streams Replication link, registration required:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10728/repsingd.htm#1006084 )

Googling around a bit, it's not hard to find references to this
error with respect to using Oracle with ODBC, but the presented "solution"
in all cases I've seen is to set GLOBAL_NAMES to false.

Does anyone on this list have any experience in this area?

Thanks,

Eric