[unixODBC-support] Problem in using cursor to fetch millionsof rows

Eric Sharkey sharkey at netrics.com
Wed Apr 6 18:51:55 BST 2005

> Thanks for the reply. I checked back the release date of the tclodbc, it was
> dated as 2000-12-10 14:00 in sourceforge. Then I checked the version of unixo
> dbc that I'm using is unixODBC-2.2.7_005. The first version of unixODBC is da
> ted on 1999, do you think that explains why tclodbc doesn't allow to cursor t
> hrough row by row because maybe the early version of unixODBC doesn't have th
> at feature yet?

Just to clarify the point I tried to make earlier:

  The unixODBC Driver Manager will not consume gobs of memory or cache
  data rows.

  The ODBC driver for the database you are using may consume gobs of
  memory and cache data rows.

You've said you're using the PostgreSQL driver, but you haven't mentioned
the version number of that driver or of the db.

I don't know much about the internals of the PostgreSQL driver or how
it manages memory, but you may want to consult the authors of the driver
or examine the source for yourself.  Maybe someone else on this list can
comment on this.

Eric