[unixODBC-support] Trouble reading odbc.ini?

Derrick fogle derrick at foundationcomputing.com
Sat Sep 11 02:13:36 BST 2004

System: Linux Enterprise 8
Apache: Apache/1.3.23
PHP: Version 4.1.2
unixODBC: ???
Special Driver: Progress_SQL92_Driver

User: Linux "Newbie"

Trying to get PHP's ODBC to talk to Progress database.

The SQLEplorer that is installed with the Progress Client works OK, but
it appears that something is wrong with the unixODBC as called from
within PHP. It appears that the odbc.ini file simply never gets read,
and so when I try to connect with an "odbc_connect($dsn,$user,$pass)"
statement I get this:

Warning: SQL error: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not
found, and no default driver specified, SQL state IM002

Using phpinfo() I can see that: The ODBC environment has unixODBC
enabled;  my LD_LIBRARY_PATH includes the path to the pgpro915.so
driver file; and the ODBCINI points to /etc/odbc.ini like it's supposed
to. I've got the odbc.ini file configured per Progress' documented
recommendations for this. I've gone over the DSN name, driver name,
file names, and path names dozens of times, and I'm pretty sure I've
got them all correct.

Using odbcinst -q -d shows the Progress_SQL92_Driver as entered in the
odbcinst.ini file.
Using odbcinst -q -s returns "SQLGetPrivateProfileString failed with ."

I'm kind of stuck, and don't know how to confirm that the odbc.ini file
is being read, or force it to get read, or anything like that. Can
anybody point me in the right direction to get this working properly?

Thanks,

-Derrick