[unixODBC-support] odbcconfig / odbcinst problem

Richard McGraw rmcgraw at 9online.fr
Thu Oct 21 18:12:47 BST 2004

On Oct 21 2004, at 18:28, Nick Gorham wrote:

> Richard McGraw wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i came against a problem in trying to create a new User DSN with
>> odbcconfig.
>> the origin of the problem seems to be in odbcinst :
>> a system DSN is created fine but on attempting to create a user dsn
>> here
>> is what i get :
>>
>> * with odbcconfig : "couldn't write to (~/.odbc.ini)" , then "General
>> error request failed"
>> and "General installer error"
>> * with odbcinst -i -s -h -f <template> :
>> odbcinst: SQLWritePrivateProfileString failed with General error
>> request failed.
>> odbcinst: SQLWritePrivateProfileString failed with General error
>> request failed.
>>
>> i have an empty .odbc.ini file in my home dir.
>> The system is Mac OS 10.3 , unixODBC is installed by the Fink package
>> management system.
>> Also: every time that odbcconfig is launched in Apple's X11, the
>> following messages
>> pop up: "Couldn't load odbc.ini", and "Unable to find component name"
>>
>> It may be caused by some configuration error at my end,
>> but i prefer to submit it to this list first.
>>
>> Do you have any idea and/or similar experience ?
>

> I am not sure, I am looking at the Mac at the moment. I would suspect
> its failing to find the ini where it expects.
>
> May be worth asking the makers of the package, where they build the
> code to expect the ini files.
>
> Can you write to ~/.odbc.ini ? it may be a permissions problem.

Well, at first it couldn't write to the odbc.ini in /sw/etc and i
changed its permissions ;
then it worked. My ~/.odbc.ini has the same permissions/owner/group
but ODBCConfig still flags the same error message.

---

... just realised that setting the env variable ODBCINI solves the
problem !
The thing is the iODBC driver manager is installed too.
iODBC reads ODBCINI and ODBCINSTINI, while
unixODBC might read ODBCSYSINI, and apparently it reads ODBCINI for
User DSNs
if it's set.

My apologies if i disturbed the list.

thanks for your time