[unixODBC-support] odbcconfig / odbcinst problem

Richard McGraw rmcgraw at 9online.fr
Thu Oct 21 15:26:27 BST 2004

Hello,

i came against a problem in trying to create a new User DSN with
odbcconfig.
the origin of the problem seems to be in odbcinst :
a system DSN is created fine but on attempting to create a user dsn here
is what i get :

* with odbcconfig : "couldn't write to (~/.odbc.ini)" , then "General
error request failed"
and "General installer error"
* with odbcinst -i -s -h -f <template> :
odbcinst: SQLWritePrivateProfileString failed with General error
request failed.
odbcinst: SQLWritePrivateProfileString failed with General error
request failed.

i have an empty .odbc.ini file in my home dir.
The system is Mac OS 10.3 , unixODBC is installed by the Fink package
management system.
Also: every time that odbcconfig is launched in Apple's X11, the
following messages
pop up: "Couldn't load odbc.ini", and "Unable to find component name"

It may be caused by some configuration error at my end,
but i prefer to submit it to this list first.

Do you have any idea and/or similar experience ?

Thanks for your time,

-- Richard