[unixODBC-support] odbc.ini is zero bytes

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Fri Oct 8 11:34:28 BST 2004

Lopez David E-r9374c wrote:

>hi
>
>did not find this error msg in lists
>
>solaris 8, unixodbc 2.2.7, mysql driver 3.5.6, domino 6.02
>
>sometimes (once/qtr or so), odbc.ini file is zero bytes.
>we replace it from backup, everything is ok again. during
>this process, we must restart the application (a pain).

I just scecked, the fix for this hadn't made it to the distribution. I
have added it to CVS now, and there is a 2.2.11 snapshot on

ftp://ftp.easysoft.com/pub/unixODBC/unixODBC-2.2.11.tar.gz

>this am, the same zero length problem on odbcinst.ini.
>high loads (4 cpu's, 16G, load=6 to 8)
>
>the same problem was discussed in mysql odbclist this
>week. this person had same issue under high loads. maybe
>this is how the error occurs...

The time we have seen it is when the file open fails dur to lack of file
handles, so it assumes the file doesn't exist, and then goes on to open
with a "w" mode which truncates the file.

If you could this on to the mysql list as well please ?