[unixODBC-support] Segmentation fault when using isql

Nick Gorham nick at easysoft.com
Thu Aug 26 20:59:23 BST 2004

mysql_04 at yahoo.com wrote:
> Nick Gorham wrote:
>
>> mysql_04 at yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>> So version 2.2.2 produces a segmantation fault, and 2.2.9 doesn't
>>> have a library needed by MyODBC.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on how to proceed from here would be appreciated.
>>

>> It will have libodbcinst.so, its just that as you haven't installed
>> from RPM, the system doesn't know its got it.
>>
>> Try forcing the install. You can check to be certain that there is a
>> libodbcinst.so.1 from the build.
>>
> Right again... Forcing the install using < rpm -ivh --nodeps > worked
> for the install.
>
> I have modified the /etc/odbc.ini and etc/obdcinst,ini files and also
> copied them to /usr/local/etc
>
> ==========================
> odbc.ini:
>
> [MySQL-test]
> Description = MySQL database test
> Driver = MySQL
> Server = localhost
> Database = test
> Port = 3306
> Socket =
> Option =
> Stmt =
>
> ============================
> odbcinst.ini:
>
> # Example driver definitinions
> #
> #
>
> # Included in the unixODBC package
> [PostgreSQL]
> Description = ODBC for PostgreSQL
> Driver = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so
> FileUsage = 1
>

> # From the MyODBC package
> [MySQL]
> Description = ODBC for MySQL
> Driver = /usr/lib/libmyodbc.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/libodbcmyS.so
> FileUsage = 1
>
> ===============================
>
> Running isql still fails:
>
> [root at localhost MySQL_Connector_ODBC]# isql MySQL-test
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
> [root at localhost MySQL_Connector_ODBC]#
>
> Same results with < isql MYSQL-test >
>
> MySQL does work on its own.
>
> Some other complications as well...
> The < make install > of unixODBC dumped all the installed files (such as
> the doc directories) below my /root/temp directory. From the
> installations instructions it appeared that the <make install > would
> put these in their proper places. Obviously, that didn't happen. Can I
> just move the doc directory & files to /use/shared/doc? Can I simply
> move the /unixODBC-2.2.9/ directory to /usr/local/, perhaps? Or do I
> need to redo the <make install> routine again (from /usr/local/)? I
> don't want a bunch of required files sitting under a temp directory
> that's just used for mucking about.

It will normally put them in /usr/local, did you specify a prefix at all ?

The problem is that it may well be looking in /root/temp/etc for the ini
files, so just copying the libs wont fix that

Try configuring again. with a --sysconfdir=/etc that will build with the
ini files in /etc.

Try a -v when you run isql, should show why it failed to connect.

isql -v MySQL-test

> ...but it still doesn't work... There has to be something just dirt
> simple here that I'm not getting right. Do I need to run odbc_config or
> odbcinst before isql?

No, not if you have made the changes to the ini files.

This is 2.2.9 you are using, 2.2.2 didn't accept # as a comment char in
the ini files.