[unixODBC-support] Segmentation fault when using isql

mysql_04 at yahoo.com mysql_04 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 21:48:14 BST 2004

Nick Gorham wrote:

> mysql_04 at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to set up ODBC so that I can connect OOo to MySQL on
>> my local machine. In following the McCreesh how-to, I reached the
>> point of testing the ODBC software, but I receive a segmentation
>> fault when running isql:
>>
>> [dan at localhost dan]$ isql -v MySQL-test
>> Segmentation fault
>> [dan at localhost dan]$
>>
>> Now, isql does seem to run, at leat, when I test it against a
>> non-existant database:
>>
>> [dan at localhost dan]$ isql -v wibble
>> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
>> driver specified
>> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
>> [dan at localhost dan]$
>>

> Hmm, there was a problem where the stats code could fail if there were
> no more semaphores available.
>
> Could you try rebuilding unixODBC with --enable-stats=no and see if
> that helps.

Nick,

I'm pretty much a newbie, so I want to make sure I get this right...

By ..."rebuilding unixODBC with --enable-stats=no"... you mean I should
compile from source, correct?

Proper sequence then is:
Extract the source files to a directory. In that directory, perform:
./configure --enable-stats=no
make
make install

Am I correct so far?

Ques -
1. Should I uninstall unixODBC first?
2. Does it make any difference what directory I use to extract the files
to or where I compile them? I mean, will the <make install> action
install the app in the current directory or in its "proper" place?
Reason I ask is that <rpm -qa ...> shows unixODBC-2.2.2-3 to be
installed, but <whereis unixODBC> shows no results, so I'm unclear on
where to put the compiled files.

Thanks,

Dan