[unixODBC-dev] unixODBC-CPP

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Sun Jan 18 01:12:50 GMT 2009

Peter Harvey wrote:

>Yes; I agree that your solution does work but would it be slightly better
>(with no real down-side) to pass in an ODBCINSTWND? Advantages (however
>slight) are;
>
>- greater chance of the dialog being properly parented
>- greater chance that the dialog will look & feel the same as the parent
>
>The driver can then decide to use the approach the developer feels is best;
>
>IF ( WIN )
>   - ignore hwnd OR
>   - assume HWND is MS window handle
>ELSE
>   - ignore hwnd OR
>   - assume HWND is ref to an ODBCINSTWND
>
>--
>Peter

But where is the parent handle going to come from, normally its directly
from the app, we just added a specific case where the app doesn't select
a DSN, but thats going to (IMHO) be very rare.

Whatever we may like to think about unixODBC, there are three non
windows driver managers, and a driver writer will write what works for
at least two of them, probably all three.

I dont see app writers changing anything, most already have their own
dialog or menu to select a DSN. And I dont know of any drivers that do
what you suggest. The last thing a driver writer wants to do is tie the
driver to a lib that will make it hard to build one binary lib that
works on many platforms.

Again IMHO.