[unixODBC-dev] text driver disappeared from 2.2.13/14 ???

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Tue Nov 25 20:39:14 GMT 2008

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Peter Harvey" <pharvey at peterharvey.org> writes:
>

>>The issue of removing drivers from the driver manager was briefly
>>discussed on the development list and I would guess that other than the
>>text driver the split would benefit linux distributors.
>>

>Yes, I remember the discussion about removing the mysql and postgres
>drivers, and I was all for that.  If removing the text driver was
>mentioned, I overlooked that part :-(
>

>>Some grief has
>>been caused by packaging drivers with unixODBC which are really
>>maintained in a different source code control systems. Perhaps the
>>differentiation between them should in deed be that - drivers where the
>>definitive source is unixODBC can be distributed with unixODBC and those
>>where the source is held elsewhere should be distributed from their
>>primary source.
>>

>Indeed, the problem is exactly that there are separate projects
>maintaining those two drivers, and those guys are more active about it
>than unixODBC is.  So I'd prefer to ship (only) their versions of those
>drivers.  But AFAIK there is not another source for the text driver.
>
>I don't particularly care whether the text driver is bundled into
>unixODBC or is distributed as a separate tarball.  But if I push out
>2.2.14 into Fedora as-is, useful functionality will disappear.

But remember the main reason open soure works, people work on things
that they need, and add the functionality they need, sounds like you/RH
need the txt driver, Peter originally did the work, so maybe between the
two of you a plan could be organised.

It may be better for the future of the driver that is is spun off as a
seperate project. There are interactions in the unixODBC code that
worries me such that I am never sure what I might be breaking in the
parts I don't use (or in this case, don't think anyone uses).