[unixODBC-dev] text driver disappeared from 2.2.13/14 ???

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Tue Nov 25 20:33:31 GMT 2008

"Peter Harvey" <pharvey at peterharvey.org> writes:
> The issue of removing drivers from the driver manager was briefly
> discussed on the development list and I would guess that other than the
> text driver the split would benefit linux distributors.

Yes, I remember the discussion about removing the mysql and postgres
drivers, and I was all for that.  If removing the text driver was
mentioned, I overlooked that part :-(

> Some grief has
> been caused by packaging drivers with unixODBC which are really
> maintained in a different source code control systems. Perhaps the
> differentiation between them should in deed be that - drivers where the
> definitive source is unixODBC can be distributed with unixODBC and those
> where the source is held elsewhere should be distributed from their
> primary source.

Indeed, the problem is exactly that there are separate projects
maintaining those two drivers, and those guys are more active about it
than unixODBC is.  So I'd prefer to ship (only) their versions of those
drivers.  But AFAIK there is not another source for the text driver.

I don't particularly care whether the text driver is bundled into
unixODBC or is distributed as a separate tarball.  But if I push out
2.2.14 into Fedora as-is, useful functionality will disappear.

			regards, tom lane