[unixODBC-dev] ODBC on 64 bit linux - test64

Kent Boortz kent at mysql.com
Wed Mar 12 22:48:31 GMT 2008

Nick Gorham <nick at lurcher.org> writes:
> I have been putting it off for as long as possible because I know there
> will be a world of pain to follow.

Nick,

Maybe suggested before, or a stupid idea, but couldn't you reduce the
problem with driver and manager mismatch by requiring that "real 64
mode" drivers define a symbol (maybe even controlled by unixODBC
headers), lets say

  unixodbc_real_64_bit_mode

and when loading the driver at runtime, check for this symbol. If not
defined, refuse to load the driver with a nice error message?

Well, maybe too much of a hack....

I think a table like the one attached (but corrected where it is
incorrect) would be useful on the unixODBC site, as there is much
confusion about types in ODBC. I think, I'm not really a user of ODBC,
I just build the ODBC stuff at MySQL AB ;-)

The table shows unixODBC SQLROWSETSIZE to differ from Microsoft 64
bits, but that might be incorrect or corrected after 2.2.11,

kent