[unixODBC-dev] unixODBC-GUI-Qt: Builds

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Wed Dec 10 09:41:30 GMT 2008

Peter Harvey wrote:

>>Well, its configured and seems to be building fine at this moment,
>>good work. What do you want to do with odbctest? Its a bit of a half
>>way house, can't help thinking it should go with the Gui parts as it
>>is one, What do you think? If that (and the associated test lib and
>>sample that goes with it) was removed, then all the GUI parts could be
>>removed (I think).
>>
>>We also need to work on the web site, so there is a place for both
>>projects, and people can find how to get the bits they need. Also the
>>drivers need splitting out as well, so the folk who needs the txt
>>driver can get their builds working again.
>>
>>BTW, if anyone else reading this has any views on this division, let
>>me know, as I don't want to do stuff thats going to break others work.
>>

>re. odbctest
>
>I think odbctest should be with unixODBC-GUI-Qt. I can get it in there
>if you like?

Yes, I think it would be best. I have stripped out all the GUI parts
now, and there is a 2.2.15pre thats got the remaining parts. Still got
the drivers in (but not txt at the moment) but the default is not to
build them. Hopefully we can create a unixODBC-drivers tree as well.

>re. gtk
>
>The only other GUI bits would be gODBCConfig (I think). My thinking is
>that a unixODBC-GUI-Gtk project would handle that. I have no plans to do
>that work but I could, if need be, init the project so it can be removed
>from the unixODBC-core.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting that we needed to start one, but the place is
there no if anyone has a need for such a thing.

>re. web site
>
>I was going to put some web material for unixODBC-GUI-Qt on the
>sourceforge space but it probably makes more sense to just link people
>over to a revised unixodbc.org. I think this is what you are suggesting
>and if so - do you have a resource for this? I could do it in a pinch -
>just not really my thing.

Not at the moment, but I should have time over the comming holiday to
sort something out.

>re. txt driver
>
>I have plans to do *something* with the text file stuff - including the
>txt driver. I need to see about getting it into a sourceforge project
>itself and then see how much time I have for it. At a min I want to see
>that stuff, in its current state, available and usable to people.

Good thanks.

>re. driver setups
>
>My understanding is that you will remove all drivers from unixODBC-core?
>What about the DRVConfig stuff? I do not see an obvious vehicle for
>delivering DRVConfig to people - other than unixODBC-core. Perhaps
>rethink how GUI abstracted (if any) driver setups should be done?

I was going to leave the setups for the moment, they don't require GUI
parts, so do no harm there. As you say, maybe we can revisit the setup
area, your original method worked well, but maybe folk want more from a
setup now, I know you ahve sone Qt based setups like we (Easysoft) have.

>re. test framework & tests
>
>Should these be their own project? Perhaps look at that at a later date?

Yep, at the moment they are in the CVS, but not the distrib, so we can
come back to them when we have time.