[unixODBC-dev] Unicode Encoding

Bill Medland billmedland at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 23 15:03:01 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-23-11 at 13:36 +0000, Nick Gorham wrote:
> Aleksandar Fabijanic wrote:
>
> >What is the encoding on UNIX for Unicode? For example, for Unicode on Windows I pass UTF-16 encoded strings. Should I do the same on Unix/Linux. Or would UTF-8 do?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Alex

> Hi,
>
> Strictly speaking its UCS-2 on windows, but yes, the same as you do on
> windows.

Are you sure?

Are you speaking about Windows or about the Windows implementation of
ODBC?

My understanding is that Windows uses UTF-16.  That's why they have
functions such as CharNext.

Surely they must also support UTF-16 to be able to handle whatever that
Chinese set is that includes characters outside the BMP

Bill