[unixODBC-dev] iconv/ICU

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Tue Nov 6 01:56:58 GMT 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 02:05:57PM -0800, Peter Harvey wrote:

> I have to wonder if using ICU instead of iconv would better support
> loss-less string handling within unixODBC? Would probably mean that some
> string handling code could be removed from __info.c and that strings
> would never have to be dumbed down due to a lack of feature support in
> iconv.

> I know that ICU is not best represented in C (as compared to C++ and
> Java) but may be a better fit than iconv?

Hrm, what's the problem needing solving here?  AFAIK, ICU is primarily
needed if you have to do canonicalization of Unicode strings; is that
relevant to UnixODBC?

ICU's a pretty heavy library to pull in if you don't really have use for it.

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/