[unixODBC-dev] Segfault when utilizing libodbc with Asterisk

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Fri May 18 09:35:04 BST 2007

Leif Madsen wrote:

> Evening all!
>
> I apologize now if I'm utilizing the wrong mailing list. I was
> debating between support and the dev list, but the description of the
> dev list seemed more appropriate. I will be sure to correct this in
> the future if I'm wrong :)

No, this will do :-)

> I am utilizing unixODBC package (unixODBC and unixODBC-devel version
> 2.2.12-1.el4s1.1) on CentOS 4.4, and have been seeing some random
> segfaults of Asterisk when utilizing the libodbc libraries. The
> developers of Asterisk have stated they believe it to be a problem in
> the libodbc driver, and the developers of the Progress (not
> postgresql) database have fixed a similar issue apparently for another
> implementor I speak with regularly and his crashes seem to have become
> resolved. (I do not have the fix he received from the vendor, but if
> you think it would be of use, then I can follow up with that
> information.)

Ok, I don't know exactly how (or what) 2.2.12-1.el4s1 is, I guess its
based on the 2.2.12 tree, but as I know people started producing builds
before it was released your guess is as good as mine. I could do with a
bit more information, what odbc driver are you using under libodbc? Yes
any details from the postgres folk could help.

The backtrace show two failures in different places, that makes me
suspect memory corruption somewhere. May be unixODBC, may be the odbc
driver under it, may be something else.

I would get either the real released 2.2.12 or the current 2.2.13 from
the ftp site, and build from source (making sure its building with
threads), try that, and see if it gives you any more information.

Failing that, maybe something like valgrind would let you find the place
the actual corruption happened, I suspect the crash you are seing is the
result of a problem that happened at some point before the actual crash.