[unixODBC-dev] SQL error code/status for DBMS unavailability

anand.vasudevan at wipro.com anand.vasudevan at wipro.com
Mon Jan 16 12:36:48 GMT 2006

But in case of Ingres when there is no DBMS server available, it still
gives 08004, which indicates that the server is available but the
credentials are wrong.

[unixODBC][CA][Ingres ODBC Driver][Ingres]Unable to connect to Name
Server: Blank or incorrect Name
SQL STATE IS 08004

The above fact is true for Oracle also, as it returns 08001 in both the
cases when the credentials are wrong and when the DBMS server is
unavailable.

So how do we distinguish between these 2 different errors based on the
SQL_STATE values?

Regards
Anand