[unixODBC-dev] SQL error code/status for DBMS unavailability

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Mon Jan 16 12:21:36 GMT 2006

anand.vasudevan at wipro.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there a specific error code or sql status which could be checked for
> in the application, when SQLConnect fails because the DBMS itself is not
> available or not running.

Well 08001 is "Client unable to establish connection" and 08004 is
"Server rejected the connection"

So I would say the examples you give are consistent. A 08004 suggests
the server is there but rejected the connection, and 08001 suggests
there is no server to connect to, or the details don't point to a server.