[unixODBC-dev] gnu build

Peter Harvey pharvey at mysql.com
Thu Sep 15 17:34:32 BST 2005

Nick Gorham wrote:

> Peter Harvey wrote:
>
>> Nick Gorham wrote:

>>> Remember that its the only sain way on many platforms.
>>>
>> FYI: I just did the following in the unixODBC root;
>>
>> $ libtoolize --force
>> $ libtoolize --force --ltdl
>> $ make -f Makefile.cvs
>> $ ./configure
>>
>> This seems to have worked fine but, of course, I can not check the
>> sources in now as I will overwite some of the changes you have
>> recently made as I have libtool v1.5.2 installed on this machine
>> (SuSE 9.1) - this is the 'dog chasing tail' thing I mentioned earlier.
>

> I know :-(. I used the gnu source of 1.5.20, and added it with
>
> libtoolise --force --ldtd --copy
>
> libtool --version
> ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.20 (1.1220.2.287 2005/08/31 18:54:15)
>
> autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
>
> automake --version
> automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6
>

>> Makes me think that libltdl should be left out of cvs (as well as
>> files resulting from libtoolize) - unless they need to be manually
>> tweaked - yuk? A requirement can be to have a libtool installed to
>> work on a cvs version of unixODBC and then libtoolize can be added to
>> Makefile.cvs?
>>
> The problem I have, is that it does need a small tweek, to allow the
> enable-group to work.
>
>> BTW: Sorry about the flurry of posts - just trying to work this out
>> asap as latest unixODBC sources needed for building other software :)
>>
> Well, if its just for that, there is a snapshot of current that should
> build in ftp://ftp.easysoft.com/pub/unixODBC

I upgraded libtool and automake such that all 3 versions match yours and
then I did a fresh cvs co and ....

$ make -f Makefile.cvs
$ ./configure

But I get the same problem...

configure: configuring in libltdl
configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/usr/local
--enable-ltdl-convenience --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for libltdl
pharvey at mercury:~/SandBox/unixODBC>

I libtoolize the root...

$ libtoolize --force
$ ./configure

But nothing improves. So I replace the libltdl dir...

$ libtoolize --force --ltdl
$ make -f Makefile.cvs
$ ./configure

Now the configure completes. So I do a make dist but...

pharvey at mercury:~/SandBox/unixODBC> make dist
make: *** No rule to make target `gODBCConfig/Makefile.in', needed by
`distdir'.  Stop.
pharvey at mercury:~/SandBox/unixODBC>

So updating libtool etc did not help. I double checked that correct
version is being used (in fact I installed with --prefix=/usr). I am not
sure how this works for you but something is different.

--
Peter Harvey, Software Developer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com