[unixODBC-dev] gnu build

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Thu Sep 15 07:07:18 BST 2005

Peter Harvey wrote:

> Nick Gorham wrote:

>>> Don't get me wrong - great idea - just trying to catch up. Although
>>> I wonder if libltdl would be best removed from unixODBC all-together?
>>

>> Remember that its the only sain way on many platforms.
>>
> FYI: I just did the following in the unixODBC root;
>
> $ libtoolize --force
> $ libtoolize --force --ltdl
> $ make -f Makefile.cvs
> $ ./configure
>
> This seems to have worked fine but, of course, I can not check the
> sources in now as I will overwite some of the changes you have
> recently made as I have libtool v1.5.2 installed on this machine (SuSE
> 9.1) - this is the 'dog chasing tail' thing I mentioned earlier.

I know :-(. I used the gnu source of 1.5.20, and added it with

libtoolise --force --ldtd --copy

libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.20 (1.1220.2.287 2005/08/31 18:54:15)

autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59

automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6

> Makes me think that libltdl should be left out of cvs (as well as
> files resulting from libtoolize) - unless they need to be manually
> tweaked - yuk? A requirement can be to have a libtool installed to
> work on a cvs version of unixODBC and then libtoolize can be added to
> Makefile.cvs?

The problem I have, is that it does need a small tweek, to allow the
enable-group to work.

> BTW: Sorry about the flurry of posts - just trying to work this out
> asap as latest unixODBC sources needed for building other software :)

Well, if its just for that, there is a snapshot of current that should
build in ftp://ftp.easysoft.com/pub/unixODBC