[unixODBC-dev] Design of SQLConfigDataSource

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Wed Nov 30 02:16:41 GMT 2005

(Maybe this is related to previous discussions that never seemed
to complete)

I am looking into why SQLConfigDataSource doesn't work for
Pervasive on my machine.  I hoped it would be trivial.  It seems
to me that it isn't.

At first I thought it might be that there was no Setup library so
I wrote one and proved that ODBCConfig could use it.  In the
process I noticed a couple of minor complications such as
documentation talking about using the
ODBCINSTValidateProperty/Properties whic I see is not actually
true yet, and RedHat unixODBC-devel packages including
odbcinstext.h but not the three files it includes.

But that didn't help.

So I started digging in the source, which is where I found out
about the call to the Setup library's ConfigDSN function.  Huh??
The MySQL and PostrgreSQL Setup dlls don't have one.  So how has
anyone been getting anything out of SQLConfigDSN?  Then I found
it in the MySQL driver itself, complete with the quote from MSDN
that it can be in either dll/library/whatever.  But the odbcinst
code doesn't look in the driver and hasn't since r1.1 in 2001.

The Pervasive Linux driver does not appear to include ConfigDSN
and so I guess I'll have to throw something together into the
hacked setup dll.

But what is going on with the design and how come it is working
for anyone?
--
Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at mercuryspeed.com