[unixODBC-dev] (no subject)

Igor Korot ikorot at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 15 16:46:05 GMT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Gorham <nick at lurcher.org>
Sent: Nov 14, 2005 11:53 PM
To: Igor Korot <ikorot at earthlink.net>, Development issues and topics for unixODBC <unixodbc-dev at easysoft.com>
Subject: Re: [unixODBC-dev] (no subject)

Igor Korot wrote:

>>This is from the latest MSDN, and I believe that this code was always in that implementation. Now, the correct code is in place for the file "unixODBC/DriverManager/SQLDataSources.c", but it's commented out (lines 301-307 in 2.2.12), and the code that returns the library name with the full path is returned instead (lines 309-314 of the same file).
>>

>Yes, but what does "Description" mean, show me that entry in the MS
>registry and I will show you the name of the driver that relates to the
>odbcinst.ini line. If your ini has the path of the lib instead of the
>section entry in odbcinst.in you will get what you describe.

The odbcinst.ini file for one record in the ODBCConfig should have following field:
Name
Description
Driver
Setup

The odbc.ini file for one record in the ODBCConfig line should have the following:
[DSN Name]
DSN Description
DSN driver that DSN relates to

In current implementation of SQLDataSource(), the 6th parameter will give the "DSN Driver that DSN relates to" from the odbc.ini file. This behavior inconsistent with the MSDN, since it should return the "Description" parameter from the odbcinst.ini. This is what it is, and I put the MSDN quote to prove. Moreover it was in the code, but was commented out, as I also show in another E-mail.

>>Could somebody please fix it according to the MSDN, and the commented comments? But maybe somebody did it on purpose? Can anybody clarify that particular piece of code?
>>

>You do always have the option of modifying your copy if you want it to
>work in a different way, we do have day jobs you know?

>>I will fix it in my code, and see if it will be consistent with the way MSDN describes it.
>>

>Ok.

Thank you.