[unixODBC-dev] Intended use of odbcinst wrt log/ini/lst?

Eric Sharkey sharkey at netrics.com
Wed Mar 30 19:39:58 BST 2005

ES> I suppose you could make a case that unixODBC should be split into
ES> separate source packages precisely because of this.

NG> Yes, I think that would be a good goal. It would help a lot. I was
NG> intending to look into this when the testing work you wre doing had
NG> settled down.

Pulling this off could be a little unpleasant.

Do you want to keep the the option of building as a single unit, or
break it up unconditionally?

It might be simplest to make minimal changes, and try to slowly
transition to a more modular structure.  Maybe starting by breaking
the top level configure.in into smaller pieces which could be
linked with AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS().  This is already done for libltdl,
but it could also be done for other directories as well.

The current directory structure doesn't make further progress trivial,
though.  You probably don't want to get too fine grained in packaging.
If you want to compile and install the driver manager, you probably
also want to compile and install odbcinst, so those seem like they
should always be in the same package, but they're not in a single
subdir of the unixODBC src tree.  It's a pity that directory
restructuring is such a nightmare in CVS.

Have you thought about how you would actually go about doing this?

Eric