[unixODBC-dev] Intended use of odbcinst wrt log/ini/lst?

Eric Sharkey sharkey at netrics.com
Tue Mar 29 23:40:57 BST 2005

I'd like to revisit the topic of what the odbcinst library is supposed
to provide.

Nick, at the end of last year, you added an export symbol list to
the odbcinst Makefile.am which appears to be limiting the functions
exported by this library.  What was your intention with this change?
Are you deliberately trying to make log/lst/ini functions not available
from this library?

There seem to be three sensible options:

  1. odbcinst provides log/ini/lst (unixODBC 2.2.10 and eariler)
  2. odbcinst does not provide log/ini/lst, but these are available
       as separate installed libraries provided by unixODBC
       (i.e., they get installed when you run "make install")
  3. no part of unixODBC provides log/ini/lst, but these libraries
       are available as a separate source package, independently
       compilable/installable
 (4). log/ini/lst are internal to unixODBC and not available
      as a standard package (this seems to be the current situation)

Which of these are you intending, or if none, how is this supposed to
work?

Basically, what it comes down to, is that I need to know how to link
my driver, which is built on top of the unixODBC template driver,
which uses log/ini/lst.

Previously (<=2.2.10), I just linked to odbcinst and it worked,
but now it doesn't without modification to the unixodbc sources.

Eric